Careful selection of your next appliance can save you money and have fewer negative impacts on the environment. Appliances account for one-fifth of the energy consumption in a typical American household. To address the increasing use of energy by home appliances the U.S. Department of Energy and the EPA have partnered with appliance manufacturers to increase the federal minimum energy efficiency standards and promote energy efficient appliances through their Energy Star® Program.
• Refrigerators use 15% less energy
• Dishwashers use 25% less energy
• Clothes washers use 50% less water and electricity
• Dehumidifiers use 10-23% less energy
• Window air conditioners use 10% less energy
• Ceiling fans use 10% less energy
• Home electronics use 20-80% less energy