• Renewable, unlimited source of energy
• Environmentally friendly
• Low maintenance
• Potential financial support from government or state
• Intermittent energy source
• Uses exotic material in manufacture of solar cells
• Requires large area of space
Solar water heaters, sometimes called solar domestic hot water systems, use the sun to heat either water or a heat-transfer fluid in collectors. A typical system will reduce the need for conventional energy source for water heating by about two-thirds. Solar water heaters are cost competitive in many applications when you account for the total energy costs over the life of the system. Although the initial cost of solar water heaters is higher than that of conventional water heaters, the fuel, sunshine, is free.